LNWR PRINCE OF WALES AT CAMBRIDGE 1911 TO 1922
GICLEE PRINT OF DIGITALLY MODIFIED VERSION OF OIL-ON-CANVAS ORIGINAL PAINTING
The London & North Western Railway (LNWR) built 245 of the 246 "Prince of Wales" class of steam locomotives between 1911 and 1922. After the First World War, the LNWR made the effort to repaint their locomotives to pre-1914 standards. This view of "Anzac", built in 1916, shows how the locomotives might have looked shortly after overhaul around 1920. "Anzac" which stood for "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps" was named in honor of the soldiers who fought and died in the Gallipoli campaign during the First World War.
The photograph: This painting is inspired by a black and white photograph taken by Henry Casserley in the 1940s, with the kind permission of his son Richard Casserley, who holds the copyright for all the photographs taken by his father.
The painting: This is a digitally modified version of the original oil-on-canvas painting "Falaba at Cambridge". The LNWR was very proud of its livery, with a deep rich "Blackberry Black" that had a dash of red in it, with red and light grey lining. It was such a successful color scheme that British Railways (BR) re-used it using ordinary black with red and light grey lining for its mixed traffic locomotives from the mid-1950s until the end of steam.
The LNWR had a special flair for making the livery look good and used it consistently on all of its locomotives, from humble freight and shunting locomotives to its express passenger locomotives. The uniformity reminded everyone that on one type of locomotive was more important than any other. They all had vital roles to play. Especially before the First World War, all LNWR locomotives were cleaned to a high standard, so this view of "Anzac" at Cambridge is typical of the best the LNWR had to offer prior to 1924.